The last couple of days has been a bit dormant for me. It feels different. I've also toned down my hand selection quiet a bit. I think in the past 2 days I've been a 23/19/5 compared to about 29/24/5 before. I just don't seem to even want to play some of the "trouble hands" and I've been giving ppl more credit and not making crying calls or trying to call off a bluff. I think that has helped my bankroll significantly and has also helped me reduce variance. I've also learned to know when to call it quits. Today my 2nd session didn't go well and I could feel some tilt tension rise within me, I then just decided to call it quits and stop the bleeding and I'm very glad I did.
Something I realized is that for everyone except GP, all of the CR pros seems to be going through tough stretches. It just seems weird to me, if they are THAT good, some of the situations they should just be able to get away from. Honestly, like seriously speaking, I dont' think the other pros are CR are anything close to spectacular. I think all they qualify for is "solid, winning" player from the middle limit games.....I do not think any of the players there have the kinks to beat 10-20 or higher and they are extremely different from GP. That's just what I think, but again, wtf do I know....
Ace on the River has been interesting and it has let me start thinking about separting myself as a poker player rather than a gambler, and here are just 2 situations where I feel I must stop doing to differentiate myself...
1. Complaining about bad luck
- in the long run, cards are gona even out. ppl are just as unlucky as you are, maybe not today, but sooner or later. I dont' think I'm a particularly unlucky person so therefore all the bad beats I receive are either due to bad play or variance, there is nothing else....complainig about how unlucky they are is a classic, often heard saying coming from degenerate gamblers...and I certainly don't want to feel like one...
2. Calculating how much you could win in the future based on your winrate today
- It's great for poker players to estimate how much their ups and down might be, but don't let it get over your head. I do this all thefucking time and peter knows this the best. Say my PT stats show 10k hands and now I'm running at 6 PTBB/100, then I'd calculate how much I'd make in a month and so on and so forth, based on these stats. Its not that bad to predict how you MIGHT come out in the future but sometimes this causes too high of an expectation. If things decide to turn south on you and you hit a horrible run, your mark will be WAY off from your calculation and even if your roll can handle it financially, psychologically it is very demoralizing. I have to think that in poker, anything can happen on any given day. I can go up 10 buy ins today and go down 12 tomorrow, its just the nature of this game - uncertainty. As a poker player, I can't "plan" how much I want to win or lose...I can only play my best and hope for the best and take slows solid steps one day at a time.
Friday, November 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment